Thursday, March 01, 2007

From the Forums: Angel Power

It's time to take a look at some of the Forum items we may have missed because it scrolls by so fast with so many requests.

First, request (actually begging) for "Welcome Home" emails or snail mail for a soldier coming home in March. His Angel is taking a banner and wanted to bring him a bunch of support letters as soon as he got off the plain. At time of posting, she only had 6 letters with approximately 6 more angels volunteering.

I think we can do better than that. It's a simple email. Only a few words needed to welcome him back. Can we get another matching six from the Kansas City area? More? Check out the forum for mailing info.

Second, request for Birthday cards for soldier who is missing his family. It's $0.99 at the dollar store and another $0.39 for a stamp. Please help out this angel and get this young hero some cards.

We interrupt the serious requests for a little Angel Humor: You Know An Angel is Commited When...

Got a NEW Mailman. TODAY. He's definately male, I don't know where SHE's gone to. Maybe ANGER MANAGEMENT?????? Anyway, I really made a great first impression. I was running down my driveway, trying to catch the mailman, (in nightgown and robe, slippers and all) wanted to get out my latest letters to heroes. When slipped on the last remaining ICE BERG in my driveway, and Guess what??? Slid almost 10 feet to the end of my driveway, just to where he was,


That is only the beginning of that story. Go here to catch the rest.

Another "Angel Humor" story: You look good for just having a baby.

This is just tooooo funny....we have been having bad weather here and didn't get any mail on Monday...Tuesday the mailman saw me in the tractor (feeding cows) and drove over...I got out and he says "boy you look good after your baby" I of course say WHAT?? My youngest is 8 and my oldest is 19 and I am toooo old LOL....He said I figured you had a baby named Angela with all these cards...he takes SIXTEEN cards out of his bag for me and my birthday Marine Angela...we are both laughing hysterically.

Then today he brought a card for Angela too from him and his wife !!
SO I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL (ALL 16 OF YOU) for the cards!!! Keep them coming...this is great!


Back to requests...

VA Hospital in Texas needs help in the Alert Section. It's mostly hygiene basics, just like we send our deployed guys and gals, so if you got a little extra, send it that way.

Patti makes March our "check on the VA" month). Local angel Jenna said:

Kansas City VA Medical Center checked.... It has an affiliation with the University of Kansas School of Medicine and I work at the University of Kansas Medical Center. I would call it decent although it lacks alot of creature comforts and activities for the patients. I have not spoken with anyone regarding a wish list yet, but I will see what I can do. I know we get alot of their "sicker" patients at my hospital and what we hear is that the VA isn't very comfortable for patients or families because of the lack of creature comforts....


Been to the VA many times with family. Paperwork is ugly. Some floors are better than others. Last trip there over a year ago, plenty of vets with limited resources and limited family support. I actually have a veteran in my medical facility that has no family. I also have contact with the VA as well and will work to coordinate with Jenna and anyone else.

Plenty of good feedback already on other VA responses.

A second VA request, closer to home for Nebraska. Same needs.

Until we know what the VA in KC needs, please work with one of these requests.

Don't forget Amy's Alerts. Many large units in need of support.

Letters from the not so "Silent Soldiers"

Thank you from Afghanistan.

I just wanted to write you a short note and thank you for your letter.
I am a Reserve Officer from Virginia. I have been in the United States Air Force 26 years with my Active Duty and Reserve time. I am now on my third activation of my career. I have two boys and a daughter. My older son (22 y/o) is now serving in the National Guard.

I was deployed to Kabul Afghanistan to help support the Afghan Army and Police Medical system. The Taliban was in control of most of Afghanistan until 2001 when the United States came in to rid this country of the terrorist. Our goal is to plan, program, and implement reform of the Afghan Police and Defense sector to develop a stable Afghanistan. We are not occupying Afghanistan like Iraq. We are trying to build a strong infrastructure so that when we leave the Taliban, insurgents and drug lords will not be able to take over this country again.

Our job is to travel down range to forward operating bases in Herat, Mazare Sharif, Gardez and Kandahar to open 50 bed hospitals for the Afghan National Army. The United States is building and outfitting the entire hospital to include training. They currently have a 3rd world country medical system.

I am proud to be an American and serve my country by helping others. I feel we have made an incredible difference in the lives of the Afghanistan people. This will translate into their country being able to stand on their own and not let terrorism breed here that will later affect our great country.

I and my fellow warriors have made many sacrifices. We have missed birthdays, anniversaries, Holidays and our homes. Yet I have not found one soldier that regrets being here and doing their duty. Please thank your husband for his service to our great country. Thank you for your support and wishes.


Finally, an update from the MasCal alert we placed on the blog two weeks ago: Mission Accomplished.

2/28/2007- Here is an update from Jason, looks we are done with this request. good work everyone!
-rog

DEAR ANGELS, THAK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT. I GOT A HUGE SHIPMENT OF BOXES IN TODAY. WE ARE GOOD TO GO BY A LONG SHOT ON BABY ITEMS. WE EVEN GAVE SOME TO THE CIVIL AFFAIRS TEAMS TO HELP THE POOR RURAL IRAQ PEOPLE. I CAN THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH I AM SO BLESSED WITH THE ANGELS THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT FROM ALL THE MEDICS AT RAMADI AID STATION. GOD BLESS SSG Y



- May no soldier go unloved