Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Local Heroes: Kansas and Missouri

I used to complain about the military not making "politics local". In otherwords, you could not find out about your local soldiers without much great effort. Well, sometime last year, they remedied that. Still, I note that the local media hasn't picked up on it. And, I would hazard a guess that a few more "search" capabilities that would allow you to find local soldiers' activities would not be amiss.

So, here I give you our first look at "local heroes" from Kansas City, Kansas, Spc Anthony Tonasket:

CAMP SLAYER – It’s inevitable that some days are forever burnt into our memories, vividly etched into the mind like a slow-motion, high-quality video. For one Soldier March 7 was one of those days.

For Spc. Anthony Tonasket, a mechanic with the 2nd Battalion, 137th Infantry Regiment, 38th Divisional Support Command, Multi-National Division - Baghdad, March 7 is a day that will always live in his memory.

While serving as a gunner on a routine combat patrol around Baghdad, Spc. Anthony Tonasket, a mechanic with the 2nd Battalion, 137th Infantry Regiment, 38th Divisional Support Command, Multi-National Division – Baghdad, an improvised explosive device detonated near the vehicle he was riding in. “The IED was buried in the berm to the left (side of the) road and was detonated not too far away from our location,” said Tonasket, a native of Kansas City, Kan.

The impact and initial blast blew Tonasket’s safety glasses and earplugs off and hit with enough power to force open his individual body armor.

“When it went off, everything went blank,” said Tonasket. “My eyes were open, but all I could see was dirt and dust. At that point, I remember thinking my chest felt light. I thought I had been injured but realized it was because my IBA was open.”

After “coughing his lungs out” from the gases in the air, Tonasket said he collapsed in the turret seat.

“I don’t remember how long I was down, but it could only have been two or three minutes,” he said.

Realizing the next several minutes were critical, Tonasket said he pulled himself together - mentally, physically and emotionally.

“I knew I needed to man my weapon and maintain my sector of fire,” he said.[snip]

“I did what I was trained to do,” Tonasket explained. “I live, eat and work with some of these guys. I may not know them, and they may not know me, but no one was going to be hurt because I didn’t do my job.”

By maintaining his bearing under fire, Tonasket likely prevented his patrol from being subject to a secondary attack and possible casualties, Eaton said.

For his actions, Tonasket was recently awarded the Purple Heart, Combat Action Badge and Army Commendation Medal with a ‘V’ device for Valor.

“Spc. Tonasket is the kind of person that we should all strive to be - totally selfless, hard working and willing to risk everything for the person next to him. I’m a better person for having known him,” concluded Eaton.


Join Soldiers' Angels and help support our heroes.


- May no soldier go unloved